Friday, April 1, 2011

Highs and Lows


Life is a balance, this is true. With the highs, come the lows. I've never been more reminded of that than this week, particularly yesterday. Thursday morning started off with me thinking it was Friday. I flitted about the kitchen, getting my coffee and making my son's lunch. About halfway through spreading Miracle Whip on a slice of bread did it dawn on me that is was only Thursday.

Later that morning...

I'm at work, sitting at my desk and realize it's almost April. Yes, time flies blah, blah, blah, but the month is significant because March is my remission month and marked six years of being cancer free (Thyroid Cancer). How had I let this anniversary pass by unnoticed? No sooner do I think this when I get a text message from my dear friend who was diagnosed with the same type of cancer (only two years before me and at a later stage). She sent a picture of her and her husband with their freshly shaven heads. She has never been able to declare herself cancer free since her diagnosis and is on a drug trial which causes hair loss.

Tears sprung up and I rushed to the office bathroom for a good cry. It's difficult to celebrate my good health for it was my friend's condition, which made me schedule an appointment with my doctor (after I experienced discomfort in my neck). Seeing her bald head reminded me of the reality of her situation. Now, eight years after her diagnosis, she is still fighting and has never once stopped.

Later that afternoon...

I received news that a story I entered in a flash fiction competition was the winner and will appear in an anthology being published in 2012. This news made me want to jump up and do an Irish jig in my cubicle (I refrained). By this point in the day I had a headache from the volley of emotions. The "acceptance high" carried me through the rest of the day and into the night...until I had to go online and check me sons grades to see if they had improved since the previous week.

Later that night....

His grades were worse. *sigh*

Friday, April 1st, 1:00 a.m.

I'm sure today will bring more of the same highs and lows, just in different, equally exciting combinations. Life is grand and provides great fodder, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment